Thursday, June 12, 2014

Caregifted

I will be spending the next week in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia courtesy of CAREGIFTED, an amazing organization that provides "getaways to the weariest long-term caregivers".  I was gifted this amazing week of respite last year when Jack was still alive. After Jack died, I let Heather McHugh, the founder (and an acclaimed poet), know and she, so kindly, is still allowing me to have this time away.

As much as I'm looking forward to this opportunity to relax and just "BE", the only reason I'm getting this weekend is because of Jack and Jack should be here, and he's not. It's not how it was supposed to be. Even after he's gone, my sweet Jack continues to bring goodness into my life.

It is a very remarkable person who recognizes the need for respite for long term caregivers when she isn't someone who actually "lives the life".  I'm excited and humbled to meet Heather tomorrow when she welcomes me at the airport.

I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to share, so stay tuned.

Continuing to inch Onward.

1 comment:

Karen Gerstenberger said...

I can hardly wait to hear about this time of respite. I hope it was absolutely heavenly. =)