Friday, February 10, 2012

New Vent - No Hospital Admit

First thing Monday morning, I sent an email to Jack's pulmonologist that said:

Dr. P:
I don't know if you've had a chance to talk with Apria yet regarding switching Jack over to the Trilogy, but can you remind them that the Trilogy will be the fourth vent Jack  has been on since he was 7 months old and we've never had a hospital admission when he's changed vents.  I think we are all capable of figuring it out in your office.  


I received a phone call on Thursday from Jack's pulmonologist letting me know that we will be switching Jack over to the new vent in his office.   


Score! :)

I shared this information in an email with my favorite (former) doc of Jack's. His response:

I wish I could clone you. We have so many patients here who could be transitioned and managed with chronic ventilatory needs without a PICU admission. I love that you are such a creative advocate for Jack.

It's nice to know that I've still got it in me - the whole advocating thing.  Sometimes I wonder.  I'm not sure if it's that I don't have the same need to advocate for Jack like I had in the beginning or whether it's just that I don't have the energy.  But, I'll admit, it feels good to know that when I do advocate for Jack, it's appropriate and successful.

Puts a smile on my face going into a busy weekend.

Eric has swimming and Sibshop tomorrow and Mark and I are actually going to a grown-up only dinner at a friend's house.  It's unusual for us to even get an invite, let alone find nursing coverage on a Saturday evening.

Score again!

Have a great weekend my friends!




4 comments:

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I love when being a strong advocate for your child comes through for the best!

Susan said...

Appropriate and successful indeed! And isn't that the best? I hope you enjoyed your adult time. Good luck with the new vent!

worthy said...

Great news! and enjoy your adult time!

Christy said...

Great job, Ann! So, have you made the switch yet? Hope you had fun out with your friends. That time is so important!

I hope all is going well!