Friday, March 15, 2013

Not Happy

I left a message first thing Thursday morning for Jack's nephrologist to call me.  I received a call from her nurse letting me know the nephrologist was out of the office, but she would let her know I needed to talk with her.  The nurse first asked if I needed to make a follow-up appointment and I told her that I did not intend on schlepping Jack down to Phoenix Children's for an appointment when the doctor didn't need to see him to answer my questions.  When I didn't receive a call by noon today, I called again and again reiterated that I needed to talk with the doctor.  I received a call from a different nurse in the office wanting to know if I just needed to know the results of the CT scan.  The answer to that question would be "No".  Why these people feel the need to screen my reasons for wanting to talk with the doctor is beyond me, it doesn't matter - my son is the patient, I am the parent and she is the doctor!  In any event, I again explained why I needed to talk with the doctor.  The nurse said he'd pass the message on to the doctor, who WAS in the office today.  It's now after 7pm and I didn't get a return phone call.

I'm not happy - and that is using my nice words to explain how I really feel.

You know, the things I wrote in my "Dear Future Physician" letter back in 2008 have not really been an issue for me personally for many years because I've been fortunate to avoid having to deal with doctors for the most part until last year.  But, as I say in my letter, when I call a doctor and ask for him or her to return my call, I really need him or her to return my call.  And not a week later! There is no excuse for Jack's nephrologist not calling me back today.  Jack's urologist has always returned my calls the same day, even when I'm told he is out of the office.  He usually calls me after 5pm when he is in his car, but he calls me.  It's really okay for a doctor to make a phone call after 5pm. I can hear some of my doctor friends grumbling right now! But really, my friends, put on your parent hat (especially those of you with medically complex kids) and I know (hope) you understand where I'm coming from.

It's Friday evening and I really need to set aside my anger because I don't want it to consume me over the weekend.

'Nuff' said!

It's St. Patrick's Day weekend and there's no time like the present to start celebrating!

I'll leave you with a few of my favorite St. Patrick's Day quotes:

Some may say the glass is half empty,
Some may say the glass is half full,
But the Irish will forever say
"Are you gonna drink that?"

*********************

As you slide down the bannister of life, 

may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!





Slainte´ my friends!

1 comment:

Susan said...

It's frustrating to have the nurses in the middle. There are times that talking to the doctor directly is really the only way. It's annoying to have to jump through hoops to get that to happen. I hope he calls and you can work out a plan. Hang in there and have a Happy St. Patty's day. I'm Irish too.