Saturday, September 11, 2010


5:00am: alarm goes off, get out of bed off the couch.

5:15am: Mark walks in the door after working all night.

5:20am: set up baby monitor in Mary's room; wake up Mary and tell her that she is on "Jack duty" and to listen for any alarms.

5:25am: Mark goes to bed in Jack's bed (so he is as close as possible to any alarms that may go off).

5:30am: leave house and go pick up sister #1.

6:00am: drive with sister #1 to meet sister #2 at our walking trail for 1/2 marathon training.

6:30am: arrive at destination and start walking with sister #1 and sister #2.

6:30am - 8:30am:  walk 8.5 miles and pray the whole time that if any of Jack's alarms go off, Mark or Mary will hear them.

9:00am:  Call Mary on her cell phone as I'm driving home and tell her to get Eric up, dressed and fed breakfast.

9:25am: arrive home; wash face; change clothes; wake up Mary and tell her that she is still on Jack duty.

9:35am: check on Jack, he's still asleep (Mark now asleep in his bed); head out the door with Eric to take him to a Sibshop.

10:05am: drop Eric off at Sibshop.

10:45am: arrive back home; breathe a sigh of relief that Jack is still asleep and didn't need anything the last 5+ hours that I've been gone; wake Jack up and start his morning routine.

1:15pm: leave house to pick up Eric; tell Mary she is on Jack duty again.

2:30pm: arrive home; Mark is awake; Jack is fine and all is well.

3:30pm: head to the Mall with Mary to look for something to wear to fundrasier/concert event tonight (because, you know ... I don't have a thing to wear in my closet!)

4:30pm: arrive home with new outfit; get ready for evening event

5:00pm: nurse arrives

5:30pm: leave house with Mary for a fundraiser/concert with my sisters and their families (Mark and Eric elected to stay home).

10:00pm: arrive home, nurse leaves; Jack is happy and I'm thankful that today went off without a hitch!


On days like today when Mark has worked the night before, I have things I need to get done and I don't have a nurse during the day, it's all about logistics and having every piece fall into place perfectly.   Today everything went according to plan and I got it all done. Yeah! Most any other Saturday and I would have been stuck because Mary typically works on Saturdays.  Fortunately, she took this weekend off because her cousins are in town and she wanted to spend time with them.  It also helps that Jack is a night owl and not an early riser.

11:47pm: Time for this tired Mom to get to bed and get some rest so I can wake up and do it all over again tomorrow.

Life is good.


Some pictures of the cousins having fun at tonight's event


 “In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.” 

–Br. David Steindl-Rast


worthy said...

Wow, what a day. and how do you manage to party after getting up so early? do you ever sleep? ;)

Marcie said...

Beautiful girls!!! Glad you were able to get out of the house. Even if it took a tremendous amount of planning!!!