Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bullet Point Update

• Mark has a new job and we still have health insurance (with the same company, so we can go through this all over again in a few years).

• My Sedona get-away was spectacular and it was so great to spend time with my friend Karen.  Two days wasn't nearly enough, but I'll take what I can get.

• Jack's kidney ultrasound is scheduled for next week (love our urologist).

• Eric and I are participating in the Run for Ryan House on Saturday. We are doing the 5k - should be fun.

• Our dear friend Peggy is coming out to Phoenix to visit us for a few days next week. She says she's coming out to see Jack, not me. Too bad, she's still going to have to put up with me because I'm taking a fews days off from work when she is in town! :) (For those who don't know Peg, she is one of Jack's former St. Louis nurses who has become one of my very best friends.)

• Jack is sick. I walked in the door after work last night to find Mark bagging Jack.  Since then, more bagging, increased vent settings, 3L oxygen, high heart rate and a miserable kid.  I'm not sure yet where this is heading.  In the past, it would have been an absolute NO to going anywhere near a hospital when Jack was sick because I had absolutely no confidence in the hospitals here.  But, after all of last year's admissions and making a few key connections with doctors I trust and who can make things happen, I'm not as opposed to taking Jack to the ED if I feel it's necessary. As of now, I don't feel it's necessary.  We started him on Tamiflu.  Our pulmonologist gave us a script with several refills to have on hand.  I'm not sure it's the flu, but I figure it can't hurt to give him the Tamiflu just in case.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so sorry that Jack is sick. I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping he recovers quickly whether or not he needs to be admitted.

Congrats on the new job! That didn't take long, good for Mark! What a relief to know that there will be no medical insurance changes. That is a blessing!!!

XOXO. Good luck with all the exciting things you have coming up.

Eric Fischer said...

Sorry to hear this, unfortunately the season is not yet over for flu. One thing to watch out for though is how systemically drying Tamiflu can be, but particularly the lungs so the need for hydration and humidification become acute.

Anonymous said...

Long time stalker with a question:) What does it mean when you are "bagging" Jack?

Hope he's feeling better already!