Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not Much Going On

Not much going on at the Ranch.  (I don't know why I call it the "Ranch" - we don't live on or near a ranch?)

Eric and Mary are back into the swing of school.  Mary is back on schedule doing her homework .... at 4:30am the morning it is due. Eric, he's back to procrastinating and yelling and fighting doing his homework every step of the way. Who says this is "the most wonderful time of the year" ?

This year, I signed Eric up for after school care a couple days a week - it gives him an opportunity to hang out with his school friends.  It's pretty bad when you have to pay for your kid to have "play dates", eh?

Mary is gearing up to start the college admission process.  She's pushing herself hard this year with the hopes of getting scholarships.  She's still considering colleges in St. Louis as well as Northern Arizona University.  The most important thing to her is that she gets far away from home.  I'll miss her.

Hard to believe our trip to St. Louis is just around the corner.  I'm actually looking forward to it. I really miss our St. Louis friends and our St. Louis doctors.  I'm hoping to have some time to just relax and visit.  October in St. Louis is fabulous.  Fall colors, cool temps, sweatshirts and Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Lattes.  It doesn't get any better than that!

And, the news of the week ....

98 days, two hospitals and three nursing/rehab centers later .... my mom finally made it back home after breaking her femur back in May.  She's still very weak and requires 24/7 supervision and assistance, but she made it home.  Remarkable.  Really, it is.  What's even more remarkable is that my mom is three years post GBM resection and there has been no tumor recurrence.  Statistically improbable, if not impossible. But, here she is.

Life is good .... make today a good one!

5 comments:

worthy said...

Doesn't sound like 'not much' to me ;)
So glad to hear that your mom is finally home, such wonderful news. she's a fighter for sure.
Have a great weekend my friend xxxx

Ms. Crabass said...

That's a whole lot of stuff! Firstly, my hope for you is that Mary sticks to school close to home. I think that's got to be painful- and I'll know that feeling in 15 years ;) Hugs for that, and for mom coming home. You all have got to be relieved. That was a long time.

xo

Susan said...

Ann that's a lot going on. That's fantastic news about your mom! I hope Mary gets into the school of her choice, though it will be hard to see her go. I know what you mean about play dates. My son keeps begging me to sign him up for "Kids Club" (after school day care). He really thinks it's a club.

Enjoy your trip.

Tess Katherine MacMillan said...

Glad to hear about your mum. She is a fighter that is for sure.
I like your use of the word, "eh". You would make a good Canadian.
Tess;)

ssouth said...

Can't it be arranged that Eric gets his homework done at after care? Two birds!
So glad to hear about your mom being home.