Thursday, July 24, 2008

Playing Hooky


There's nothing more energizing than playing hooky during the work week. I had a client who wanted to meet on our side of town rather than drive down to my office, so I decided that I'd rather not drive to the office today either. After I met with my client, I went to the post office and filled out the paperwork to get my passport (which I'll need for the cruise I'm hoping to go on in February) and then Mary and I went and got a pedicure. I also did a little shopping in between. It's really a good thing I'm not a stay-at-home mom because when I'm not at work, I'm out spending money.

The wonderfully relaxing day was topped off by a letter from Aetna informing me that my request for an expedited appeal was denied because only those services for which a delay in decision making "might seriously jeopardize the life or health of the member" qualify for an expedited appeal. HELLO . . . how skilled nursing for a child with an artificial airway who is kept alive solely by a machine that breathes for him 24/7 doesn't qualify as a decision that might jeopardize the life or health of a member is beyond me! I had to wait 72 hours for an expedited review of my request for an expedited review. Now I get to start the clock running on another 72 hours when I appeal their determination that my appeal isn't entitled to an expedited review. Are you following all this?! It really is maddening and when it's all said and done, I'll be at the 30 days mark for a typical appeal anyway. But, I can't not push the issue because I don't want to give them the impression that nursing isn't critical for Jack (which it is).

God grant me patience. In the meantime ... I think I'll have a beer.

CHEERS!


*********
I was so distracted by the Aetna letter (or maybe it was the beer?) that I completely missed Eric's "meet the teacher" tonight. I realized at 7pm that we were supposed to be at Eric's school between 5-6pm to meet his teacher. Should make for an interesting first day of school. *sigh*

3 comments:

The Marini's said...

The toes are cute! I love getting a pedicure... one of the ultimate luxuries of being a lady! I'm happy that you got a day off today, only I'm sorry that Aetna managed to 'rain on your parade.' In this lifetime I will never understand how insurance companies can be so stupid! Hope you enjoy the rest of the week! We're having beautiful weather on the east coast.
Love,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Glad you had some fun!

Aetna will get it in the end, expited or not! (at least they deserve that!!!!)

Anonymous said...

Who cares- seems you needed the beer!