Sunday, July 30, 2006

Looking Better

Jack is looking much better today. He's still sleeping most of the time, but does open his eyes when someone walks in the room. He's also found his voice again and is humming songs for everyone who is messing with him. He wants us all to know that he knows what's going on, so we'd better be nice! He did have to get a unit of blood today because his hemoglobin was low. He's now got a little more color in those puffy cheeks of his. Still no smiles.

The orthopedic resident told me that we aren't going anywhere and that they have to go through her before he gets moved to the floor. She appears to be a force to be reckoned with -- and a good person to have on your side. There are a lot of empty PICU beds today, so there really is no need to rush us out. The PICU docs have not been adamant that Jack move to the floor, they just keep mentioning it. I'm sure from their perspective, they see getting out of the PICU as a good thing. Not too many people beg to stay in the PICU.

I was reading the latest edition of Reader's Digest this morning and read an article about ways to make your brain better, faster and smarter. Just a little bit of interesting trivia:

The bad news:

In no uncertain terms, traumatic stress is bad for your brain cells. The hippocampus, which is the primary locus of memory formation can be seriously debilitated by chronic stress.

The good news:

Humor stimulates the parts of our brain that use the "feel good" chemical messenger dopamine and may make us smarter.

So, here's a little humor that made me laugh (and maybe even a little bit smarter):

The following real student answers reveal why faculty members require long summer vacations:

Q: Where was the Declaration of Independence signed?
A: At the bottom.

Q: In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, what warning was given to Caesar about March 15?
A: The toothslayer said, "Beware the March of Dimes".

Q: Who are the Aborigines?
A: They're the Native Americans of Australia.

Have a great rest of your Sunday and don't forget to laugh today! As soon as my little man flashes his smile, I'll be sure and share it with you. Thanks for checking in.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are getting to stay in the PACU. My experience is that no one shoves out kids as involved as Jack (and my son) unless beds are needed. I agree with the need to leave the building at times, so it is a good thing. Mostly, I'm glad to read that Jack is improving. I hope to see a photo of his smile soon.

- betty

Anonymous said...

Ann-

now we know even more where Jack inherited his smile from...sending out jokes from the PICU, no less!!:):) (i miss the smileys!)

I'm glad he seems to be doing pretty well--and that you have that tiger resident on your side to keep him in the PICU---i'm pretty much 100% confident that you're holding your own as well!-as much as you love hospital life...

hang in there, ann, our thoughts and prayers remain with you and Jack.

sebby

Anonymous said...

Ann
you are amazing and so strong.
Trina

Anonymous said...

Ann & Jack,
I'm glad to hear you are still in PICU. Jack, you look like a little stay-puff marshmellow guy. I find you adorably irresistable no matter what you look like! Cute those puffy cheeks for me Ann. I'm proud of you sweetie...no Shirley McClane {sp?} episodes yet. Pull them out when you need them. I know you will cause you da mamma! I love ya sweetie. Thanks for posting a pic.
BIG HUGS, Janet

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to be staing in the PICU, Emma is always shuffled to the floor as soon as possible (they are always needing beds) here. I am glad he is doing better. Please send him love and I will continue to pray for him

Anonymous said...

This one's completely dumb but for some reason, it never fails to make me laugh...

SO this vampire bat comes back in the cave after a night out and he's got fresh blood on his mouth and all the other bats get really excited.

"Where'd you get it! Come on, show us, where'd you get it" they say.

The bloody bat hemms and hawws and waives them away but they're persistent, so finally he says, "Alright. You wanna know, follow me."

Over pastures and around bridges and through meadows they go until finally he says, "Okay. You see that tree over there?"

And his followers exclaim "Yes! Yes! There? What then?"

And the bloody bat says, "Good. 'Cause I didn't"...

I don't know about smarter, but I know I used laughter as my yardstick as to how close I was to the realm of the unwell; as long as I could still giggle over a vampire bat smacking his head on a tree, I knew I was still on the right side of "nuts"...

We're pullin' for you both!


Kari

Anonymous said...

You still have a sense of humor! This is good! I know I would not be as able to be humerous! I'm sure Jack's smile will be back soon too! Thanks for keeping us all posted!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie-
Glad to hear that the PICU docs are in no rush to move Jack. Whew!! Thinking of you 24/7 and wish I could be there with you.

XOXO
Anne

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you still have your sense of humour Ann. You are the best and so is jack. I hope that tomorrow you get your smile.

Love,
Tess

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Jack is improving with every day. Bad news about the stress, but excellent news about the humor! Humor is my best friend these days! I look forward to a picture of Jack and his beautiful smile soon! Take care of yourself and know that there are many prayers coming your way!
Grace and Peace,
Kristy and Nathan

Anonymous said...

Glad all is going well, if humor is the measuring stick for anything.then Jack will be at the head of the class, because if he has anyhthing, it is a good sense of humor and a great smile. Get

home soon, Love,Grandma

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Jack is feeling a little better, hope he continues to improve. Sounds like you have a great dr on your side. Good to see that you are maintaining a sense of humour Ann, I'm not sure I could.

Love Julie

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I read through your blogs and I'm glad Jack is doing better. Jack, you, and the family are in our prayers.

Anthon

Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaa Jack! If you're humming already the big grins can't be too far behind. Keep up the good work! Ann, hope you are holding up and getting some rest every now and then. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
Love,
Erica