Sunday, October 12, 2008

Recycled Post

We are half way home and as I sit here in our hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, I can't help but think of my dear friend Peggy. Once again, Peggy and her husband, Max opened up their home to us during our stay in St. Louis. As you can imagine, it's no small deal to allow a family of six and a ton of medical equipment to invade your home. Not only does Peggy provide us a place to stay, she feeds us, she helps me with Jack's care, she entertains my other kids, she does our laundry, and she keeps me well "hydrated", just to name a few. Peggy is a remarkable person and but for Jack, I would never have had the privilege of meeting this person I count among my very best friends. Peggy is one of the nurses who cared for Jack when we lived in St. Louis and her husband, Max is a pediatrician. You certainly can't find better accommodations for a kid like Jack than Peg's house.

I would like to share a post I wrote about Peggy back in 2006 after our stay with Peggy when Jack had his spinal fusion surgery.

*****************************************

August 29, 2006

My favorite picture of Peggy and Jack taken when Jack was 2 1/2 years old



I've mentioned in many of my daily posts, our friend Peggy. Although Peggy will probably have my head for this, I just have to take this opportunity to share with you all what a wonderful and amazing person she is. Peggy came into our lives about a week after Jack was discharged from the hospital as a baby - trached and vented - back in June, 1999. Peggy walked into our home to a scene she will always remember. Jack's night nurse and I were standing over Jack's crib, which was located in our living room, bagging him through a period of respiratory distress. What I didn't know at the time was that Peggy had made it very clear to the nursing agency she was working for that she didn't take care of kids on vents. Trachs, yes ... vents, no! Not a problem they told her, Jack was only on the vent at night (not exactly true). When she left that day, Peggy told me that although Jack was a really sweet baby, she probably wouldn't be back because she didn't take care of kids on vents. Well, Peggy couldn't stay away. She fell head over heels in love with Jack, and he with her and she never looked back. Peggy has been a significant part of Jack's and our lives ever since that day back in June, 1999.

Peggy has devoted at least the last 8 years of her life to caring for medically fragile children. She does this, not because she has to work, but because she has a special place in her heart for kids like ours. Peggy doesn't just come into your home and provide nursing care for your child, she embraces and cares for the entire family. She is this way with every family she has cared for. She often takes "her" kids into her home for the weekend so that mom and dad can have some respite time. She always included our family in holiday celebrations with her own family because we didn't have extended family in St. Louis. She attended my kids' First Communions, graduations and special events in lieu of my own family, who lived out of state. As difficult as it was for her to say "good-bye" to her Jack over four years ago, she made the trek with us from St. Louis to Phoenix when we moved home. She and her husband, Max, have always graciously opened their home to us when we come back to St. Louis for Jack's doctors' appointments and surgeries. Peggy was at the hospital every single day of Jack's 3 1/2 week hospital stay to allow Mark or me to get away for a few hours (and, of course, to spend time with Jack). We never could have gotten through this last month without our dear friend Peggy. She is the most unselfish and giving person I have ever known. Peggy came into our lives seven years ago as one of Jack's nurses ... today, she is not only one of Jack's (former) nurses, she is Jack's godmother and one of my very best friends. Peggy never tires of hearing about Jack and what is going on in his life. She is one of the few people I can talk to on the phone for hours about nothing else but Jack. She cares as much for him as I do. We are privileged to have a friend like Peggy in our lives. Thank you Peggy, we love you very much.


*****************************************


The same holds true today. Thank you Peggy, we love you very much.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Wow what a true friend you have. Thanks for being so wonderful for Jack Peggy!