Sunday, December 03, 2006

Busy Weekend!



We got both Christmas trees up and decorated. Whew! They are real trees and I love the smell of them. It was too dark by the time I finished decorating to get a good picture of our big tree, but the above picture is the tree we set up in Jack's room. The smile that came across Jack's face when I told him it was time for bed, turned off the lights and all he could see were the lights from his Christmas tree ... was priceless! Eric told me tonight that he wishes he could be like Jack so that I would pay attention to him. Ouch! He wants to know why he can't have a Christmas tree in his room. How do you explain to a 4 year old that it's because he can walk into the living room and look at the Christmas tree. *Sigh*.

Jack's pressure sore is terrible. It's open and oozing again. Not good at all. The alternating pressure mattress Apria sent out is a joke. It's not a mattress, it's a pad and it has pockets that fill up with air and that's it. Seems to me that while the pad may have alternating air pockets, since Jack is not "alternating" it does no good. We need a mattress that has air that moves, or something that is continuously changing the position of the mattress against Jack's skin. I'm not going to bother with Apria, I'm going to call another DME company we have in town and see if they can help me.

As far as the pressure sore itself, we see the orthopedic doctor on Wednesday and I'm going to ask him to look at it and then call our pediatrician because something needs to be done. My mom (who is a nurse) says that a wound care nurse should come out to the house to care for Jack's sores. We'll see what happens after Wednesday. Of course, taking it to the worst case scenario, I've already got him in the hospital and on IV antibiotics right about Christmas when I'll have a house full of guests. I'll shoot myself if that happens.

We have a busy week coming up with Jack's ortho appointment and we also have Mary's Confirmation on Wednesday. I'll let you know what I find out from the ortho on Wednesday. Hope you all have a good week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tree! You are way ahead of us, I haven't even started thinking of a tree, though I have got most of the presents.
Poor Jack, I hope you can find something to relieve his pressure sore. It just sucks that he should have to suffer this on top of everything else.

Good luck for Wednesday, will be praying that Jack certainly is NOT in hospital for Christmas.

((((HUGS))))
Julie

Anonymous said...

Ann -

Lovely tree. It's nice you have the room to put it in Jack's room for him.

I hope things move along with the pressure sore. Those things make me nervous. I know you are on it, so let's pray for home care and wound nurses coming to the house, not hospitalization with IVs.

- betty

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the IEP vistories but sorry they come with meetings...yucky! I hope Jack's sores are better soon--I hope he gets the mattress he needs. Hang in there! Jack's tree is beautiful! You are in my prayers as always!

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Beautiful tree! I have a little tree in Donovan's room. I haven't put it up this year. Maybe I should send it to Eric? He's a little corker. Leave it to a kid to just say what's on their mind. You just have to laugh about that Ann. He'll understand one day. He'll know too that if it were him, you'd do the same thing.

Keep us posted on the wound stuff. I'm sure there's a better mattress for Jack. Hugs to you all!