Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Mom Update

I was reminded (seems I need a lot of reminding lately) that people other than those who just know me through Jack, read this blog.  After my DNR post, several phone calls were received regarding my mom.  So, for those who know my mom, I am updating.  The DNR order has been removed. My dad was confused as to when was the appropriate time for such an order and this is not one of those times.

Today was, quite frankly, the day from hell.  My mom is two days post broken femur and she still hasn't had surgery to repair the break, nor has her pain been managed at.all.  I spent a good part of the day trying to get my mom transferred to the hospital where she's had her brain surgeries -- a much better (in my opinion) hospital than the one she currently is at.  I could spend paragraphs explaining all that was involved in getting this accomplished, but at the end of the day, it was ultimately decided to keep her where she is.  They tried to do surgery tonight, but discovered -  as they were practically wheeling her into the OR  -- that her platelets are too low.  Surgery has been cancelled.  Has a transfusion been ordered?  Supposedly, but not until the morning (why I don't know).  They now (after two freaking days in the hospital being in incredible pain), have a pain management plan in place (at least in theory, I'm skeptical).

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... hospitals are very dangerous places.  We have someone with my mom as often as we can, but it's tough to be there all the time with our schedules. I'm just hoping and praying she has the surgery tomorrow and that she survives the recovery.  It's a huge surgery because the break is so bad and her recovery will be extensive.  To give you some idea as to why the break is so bad -- my mom had knee replacements in both knees. She fainted and fell directly on her knees.  Knee replacement hardware includes a screw that goes into the femur. Well, when you fall on your artificial knee, the screw pretty much shatters the femur.  Like I said, it's a bad break (the x-ray is painful just to look at!)

That's the update from here.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a day of forward progress. Thank you for checking in, thank you for caring.


Christy said...

Holy cow. That sounds very nasty! I agree, hospitals are dangerous. And the patient (even if an adult) can't speak for themselves. When my sister was in the hospital, they didn't do anything based on what she said. It was only when her husband came and started raising heck, that they did anything.

Hang in there. I hope her surgery can happen soon and that her recovery goes as well as possible. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Ann, it sounds excruciating. I'm so sorry things aren't going well. Hopefully the hospital can get it together to manage your mom's pain and repair her femur ASAP. Thinking about you xo

Alicia said...

Oh Ann, I am so sorry your mom is suffering. So ridiculous that they are not treating her the way they should. Not right.

I hope and pray the surgery happens soon and she can recover well.


worthy said...

Oh my Ann, your poor mom. hoping she gets the surgery soon

Katie said...

Grrrrrrrr....I'm just pissed reading your message. Ann, good grief you shouldn't have to go through this (nor should your mom)! I hope that today was a little better and that you have a better end of the week. Prayers to you and your mom.