Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Check-In

Wow, it's been an entire week since my last post!  Not really much going on except every day life that's keeping me busy.  I have many ideas about things I want to write about, but I just can't force myself to stay up into the wee hours of the night to write.  Good thing I'm not a professional blogger, eh?

We are in the mist of the last days of school, graduations and graduation parties.  Hilary arrived home today. Mark flew out to help her pack up her stuff and ship it home.  She hasn't been home since Christmas, so it's been a long 5 months.  Hilary says "it's good to be home".

Since I don't have anything profound to share with you, I'll share this great article written in 2008 by Michelle Mayer, a reseacher, educator, mother and wife who was diagnosed with schleroderma.  Michelle was well educated and medically knowledgeable and she writes about being the "Difficult Patient".  I think for those of us with medically involved children, the article could be re-titled "The Difficult Parent" and be spot on when it comes to advocating for our children and what we expect from the medical profession. (and it would likewise apply to anyone who has to navigate the medical maze and advocate for their loved one.)  I especially found it interesting that there are a few points that Michelle makes that are very much the same as what I wrote in my "Dear Future Physician" letter.

It's a very good read.  Here's the link: The Difficult Patient

Wishing you all a fabulous week!

2 comments:

worthy said...

I thought difficult parent myself as soon as I started to read your post! have a great week xxx

Unknown said...

Difficult patients are only difficult if they question the doctor! :)