Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tough As Nails

Jack tolerated a lot today, all the while wincing, grimacing and breathing through his pain ... yet, not a single tear shed (on his part). He is absolutely one of the toughest individuals I know. There are very few places on his body that aren't bruised, due in large part to the pursuit of a reliable vein during surgery. The orthopedic resident said it took longer to get a central line in Jack than it did to put 34 screws in his spine - something she had never encountered before. Jack ... he never takes the easy road.

Today they got him out of bed and sat him up in a special chair. He also got his drains and foley out and his dressing removed. It is one very long incision. He was also awake for a good part of the day and even watched (listened to) a few videos. I wish I could tell you he will have a restful night, but no sooner does he close his eyes and someone is in the room doing something to him. As much as I dislike being in the hospital, I am in no rush to get him home either.

Time for me to head back to Jack's room. Our friend Peggy (who we are staying with) came and relieved me so I could go to her house, shower and get a change of clothes. When I got back to the hospital, she was getting ready to give Jack a bath and wash his hair. She told me to leave because I make her nervous with my hovering :-) Yes, I hover. I gladly took the opportunity to go to the cafeteria and juice up on caffeine.

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

As always, thanks for checking in, for your jokes, and for your thoughts and prayers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are two of the toughest people I know. Jack is an amazing boy with an amazing strength. Please give him lots of love for me.

I'm glad I got to talk to you tonight. I don't think I helped you any but you sure helped me. You and Jack have been on my mind so much lately it was great to hear your voice and know you are both doing OK. Thanks for calling :)

I wanna see pictures of clowns!!


Love ya
Carrie

Anonymous said...

sending loving thoughts and prayers your and Jack's way...thanks for keeping us updated. i pray for a little improvement each day for him.

i was REALLY glad to hear that you managed to get even a little break today, thank goodness for friends who know when to step in!!

sebby

Anonymous said...

Yep, you and Jack are both tough cookies, but wouldn't it be nice not to have to be. I'm glad Jack had a better day. I'm praying that he just amazes you with how quick he recovers.

Love, Sandra

Anonymous said...

Jack is still on my mind! What a fighter he is. I hope the floor gets better and they keep him comfortable and pain free. I look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Grace and Peace,
Kristy and Nathan

Anonymous said...

Well, while you were warding off the Denizens of Dastardly Contagion and waxing tolerant with those of too much authority and not enough brain cells...

I'm sure you missed out on "Last Comic Standing", where Josh Blue announced that he wasn't a religeous man. Weeelllll...except when he's shaving.

(Josh Blue's got CP. In his hands. They now make razor blades with 4, count them FOUR blades. The only thing scarier would be letting Janet Reno try to get that stray eyelash while holding a dinner knife.)

I'm glad you got to get out for a minute, Ann.

Words fail me; we're keeping you all in our thoughts. How's the rest of your squad holdling up?

Hugs,

Kari

Anonymous said...

Ann, you are both so strong, there are not many who could deal with this the way you and Jack do ((((HUGS)))).

Glad there is a little improvement and so lovely that your friend gave you a break for a while, you need the chance to experience some normality, I know I felt institutionalised when Sam was in hospital for so long. You leave the hospital and suddenly see ordinary people doing ordinary things and you had forgotten that life was still going on as normal outside.

Continuing to pray for Jack

Julie

Anonymous said...

What a strong little guy you have-he's got a strong mama as well.

Much love-
Anne

Anonymous said...

Ann,

I believe Jack is in deed as thought as nails and also a happy child, despite all. I think is your love and all of his family's love and support that helps him face everything he has gone through. Hang in there, Ann.

Martha.

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's my silly joke contribution. Hugs to you both!
___________
A man and his wife are awakened at 3 o'clock in the morning by a loud pounding on the door. The man gets up and goes to the door where a drunken stranger, standing in the pouring rain, is asking for a push.

"Not a chance," says the husband, "It is three o'clock in the morning." He slams the door and returns to bed.

"Who was that?" asked his wife.

"Just some drunk guy asking for a push," he answers.

"Did you help him?" she asks.

"No. I did not. It is three o'clock in the morning and it is pouring rain outside!!."

His wife said, "Can't you remember about three months ago when we broke down and those two guys helped us? I think you should help him, and you should be ashamed of yourself!"

The man does as he is told (of course!), gets dressed and goes out into the pouring rain. He calls out into the dark, "Hello! Are you still there?"

"Yes," comes back the answer.

"Do you still need a push?" calls out the husband.

"Yes! Please!" comes the reply from the darkness.

"Where are you?" asks the husband.

"Over here on the swing!!" replies the drunk.