Monday, August 07, 2006

Ugh!

Jack is still running a fever. The culture was gram positive -- which means it's most likely a staph infection. They tried -- yet again -- to get more blood from him today. It's beyond ridiculous how many times he has been stuck. They are giving him an oral antibiotic that is "very controlled" ... in other words ... "very expensive". It must be approved by the infectious disease docs before they can give it. That said, they don't feel like it will kill whatever is causing his infection, only keep it at bay. So, the infectious disease people are being called in to (1) see if they can identify the source of the infection; and (2) figure out how to get rid of it. If it's in the bone or his newly installed hardware, that is not good.

I'm getting a little panicky to say the least. I just want to get out of here!! My worst fears are coming true. Guaranteed we won't get out of here tomorrow. But, they all know exactly how I feel about being here (does that surprise you?) and they are going to do everything they can to get us out of here by Thursday. Of course, a lot will depend on what they finally determine is the source of the infection. We also have to be careful that if he stays in here too long, he'll catch some other hospital born infection.

Hanging on by a thread .....................

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann,

I guess I spoke too soon thinking that should take care of it! Finding the source of the infection....that will be the trick. Godspeed to the docs. This boy must go home soon!!!!

Cindy said...

I hate those mystery fevers, means lots of tests:-( One bit of advice, don't let anyone near Jack with a needle unless they have lots of experience. Ask for "the best stick in the house." The staff knows who's really good at getting blood out of the tough cases. You don't want any residents practicing on him at this point. We are hanging on with you Ann! I hope the cause of the fever is nothing serious!

Anonymous said...

Geez Ann, so sorry to hear/read things aren't going well. Called Mark yesterday to wish him a happy b-day and he gave me an update. I want to get back down there to visit with you guys. I can't tonight but maybe tomorrow night. Mark Beaton is in town and I haven't seen him for years.

We'll talk soon. Hang in there. Please call if you just want to talk...

Dave

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Ann, you guys sure could use some GOOD news. The last few days have been really rough. I will keep praying for Jack, thanks so much for posting here and keeping us updated. I think I would go nuts with worry if I didnt see your updates

Anonymous said...

Kick that fever Jack! Hang in there Ann! Love you both!

Jody

Anonymous said...

Oh Ann! I feel soooo bad for Jack, he has been through sooo much. And mom too! Keep your chin up and get out of there as quick as possible. Good job putting that anesth. in his place with his long day...what nerve he has! Lots of prayers and well wishes for Jack
XOXO
Sharon and Hannah